CAREL and all its employees act in compliance with the ruling laws and regulations when carrying out their duties to protect the environment, reduce pollution and contribute to the achievement of exemplary results in this sector. In addition, CAREL contributes to the promotion of scientific and technological development for the protection of the environment and resources at the appropriate levels and during the performance of its activities.
As noted, dedicated resources at the parent and Carel Electronic (Suzhou) Co. Ltd. manage environmental issues as both sites are ISO 14001:2015 certified. They prepare specific environmental policies to flank those defined at group level.
Although it is not exposed to particularly significant risks, CAREL has identified the following possible environmental impacts related to emissions (harmful ozone gas, greenhouse effect, pollutants) and consumption of natural resources (electrical energy, natural gas, water, raw materials). It monitors and manages these impacts constantly to ensure compliance with the ruling legal requirements of the countries where it operates.
Management’s current approach is to assess the energy efficiency of production equipment, vehicles used to transport people and things and technical and technological systems before it purchases them.
In 2020, CAREL carried out works to reduce energy consumption at production sites. These initiatives entailed the replacement of lighting systems with LED technology at Italian production sites, which led to total energy savings of 168,845 KWh, 72% of which was attributable to CAREL HQs and the remaining 28% to Recuperator.
LED light bulbs also have a significantly higher average lifespan, improving the durability of the investment. These works are part of a broader energy efficiency plan which the group is implementing in the knowledge that energy consumption due to inefficient plant contributes to climate change. This plan includes replacing heating/cooling systems, the benefits of which will be seen in 2021.
Thanks to the works described, CAREL enjoyed a number of advantages, not only from an energy efficiency standpoint, but also in terms of avoided emissions from such consumption based on the assumption that such consumption uses electricity generated from fossil fuels.
Specifically, thanks to the works carried out in 2020, the group avoided 78 tonnes of CO2e, equal to around double the emissions generated by LPG powered plant during the same year.